Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Whilst Surviving Moving Madness

I returned home to find our once perfectly put together apartment in complete shambles. Yes, friends, packing has begun.

To the left of me, there are boxes filled with books. To the right, more books, dog toys and office supplies screaming to be packed away. I've decided to ignore their incessant badgering until the evening hours roll around, when I can pop in a movie and mindlessly sort through things that need to be donated, packed or re-gifted (kidding... unless anyone wants a couch covered in black and white dog hair, that is).

I've gotten to the point where I've stopped buying real groceries; just the necessities now. We are trying to get through contents of our cupboard that we often ignore, which has made for some creative lunches. On today's menu: homemade hummus, pita chips and sugar snap peas.


I had to laugh when I realized how many cans of garbanzo beans we have in our pantry... we never eat garbanzo beans! Who keeps buying these? K? Me? Moe? I wouldn't be surprised if one day they simply appeared, like dust bunnies or lost socks.

And what else have I been doing? Aside from searching for apartments and jobs, and working on a few freelance projects, I've been dog-sitting.

Meet Eddie and Emma.


Our neighbors are on vacation to celebrate their anniversary (congratulations, Mark and Monica!), and luckily, I get asked to watch this gorgeous pair every time their parents book it out of town. I wish they could stay with us when we watch them, but unfortunately, Moe hates Eddie and Emma hates Moe- it's a vicious cycle. Thus, there's a lot of back and forth between apartments, and the three of us had a pleasant picnic in the garden.

I've taken to calling them "Eduardo" and "Emmilou." I think they like it.

Wherever this finds you on this lovely summer afternoon, I hope it's with something delicious and someone you love.


Hummus
The ingredients for homemade hummus are few, and many would be surprised to discover they have all of them in their kitchen at any given time. You can use a food processer, blender or Vitamix to make this recipe.


One can garbanzo beans
Juice of one lemon
Two cloves peeled garlic
One teaspoon sesame oil
Three Tablespoons olive oil
Salt to taste

Finely chop garlic in food processer (you may need to wipe down the sides with a spatula). Add garbanzo beans and lemon juice. Blend until it looks like a choppy paste. Drizzle sesame oil while blending, then olive oil until texture is that of a smooth paste.

Season with salt, blend a bit more.

Move hummus to a bowl, drizzle with olive oil, and top with fresh herbs or spices if you prefer. Serve with fresh veggies, pita chips or warm pita bread. This recipe makes a great spread for burgers, sandwiches and wraps.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...