Monday, October 3, 2011

Decaffeinated on a Monday

Lame-O post today, everyone. I've officially started the Reboot cleanse I was telling you about last week, and let me tell you, all work and no coffee makes Elizabeth a dull girl.

My brain is not functioning properly which is making me feel all the more pathetic being so dependent on caffeine, thus I thought I'd share one of my favorite poems to make up for the less than sparkling read. I'm sure many of you have read it before, most likely during the poetry section of your high school senior English class.  It's Robert Frost's "The Road Not Taken," and since all poetry is open for interpretation (right?), I think it has to do with mocking people who regret the decisions they've made in their life. 

I will admit sometimes I have bouts with these feelings, the "what if I had justs?" They offer solace, but they can hinder you in the worst way possible. 

A dear person to me once said, "There are no do-overs for us in this life," and while the weight of that sentence can be downright depressing, solace can be found there as well, I think.

The Road Not Taken
By Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,

And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay

In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh

Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...