Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Waiting, Waiting, Waiting Wednesday

If you've assumed this week has gone by tortuously slow for us, you're correct. I've realized that life changing vacations, trips, whatever you'd prefer to call them, have a dramatic effect on not only the weeks you're gone, but the week leading up to departure and the week upon one's return as well. 

I'm pretty sure the word is... unproductive?

Either way, on to past adventures. Originally, I was going to talk about Budapest and Vienna on two separate days, but I changed my mind. Why? Because, one, my photos of Budapest are a tad lame and two, because I've decided to make Friday about Halloween loves past... and thank god digital cameras weren't prevalent for the first half of college.

Scandalous costumes happened during that time. Oh, to be young and twenty again, donning a jacket, no pants and having no problem walking down the street with a smile on my face.
How times have changed.

Budapest was one of those cities that I had high hopes for, but in actuality was a total letdown. For Kyle, it was the same, but his reaction had to do more with his expectations based on this scene from 2004's Euro Trip (you'll have to get to the last minute and a half to understand his grossly inaccurate forecast for Hungarian currency and the American dollar).

In comparison, Vienna, for me, was one of the best cities I've ever visited in Europe. This may have had to do with the fact that we were with our wonderful friends (one of whom was a grad student at the University of Vienna at the time), thus got a bit more of the local experience. However, I think there was something about the city itself and the people that resonated with me (it also helped that I was reading a book about Marie Antoinette's early life at the time... hello, Austrian history!). 

Tomorrow, we visit Prague and good old Londontown, and I'll be attempting to list all the places I've visited around the world in my life (a good checks and balances for future jaunts). 

Yeah... I was a little worried when we saw the outside of our hostel for the first time.
"Sooo... what should we do today?"
"I dunno... wanna go to the Terror Museum?"


Budapest in autumn.
Not a Churchill fan then?
You gotta get your jollies where you can, am I right?
Buda Castle.
One of my favorite photos from the entire trip.
Is anyone else disturbed by the fact his legs are rubbed raw?
Oh hey... it's them again! Enjoying some wine, cheese and bread in Vienna.
I think J captured the essence of the statue better than I did.
"Let's compete and see who can take the most romantic photo..."
"... and I'm pretty sure we lost."
Viennese gorgeousness.
Quick everyone... like a tiger!
I love this girl. And the tree path behind us.
Schonbrunn... my favorite spot in Vienna.
Yoohoo!
Freezing cold, but still amazing sunset.
Last night in Vienna... who wants a cheese filled sausage?
Fun little bit behind J's apartment.

"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."  -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...