Thursday, September 15, 2011

My Favorite Drink (Currently)

Have you ever heard of Vitamix?

It's quite possibly the best kitchen appliance in the WORLD. Granted, for the cost of the thing, some people probably think it should be outfitted in gold (or at least dipped in silver), but I'm telling you, the price is worth it.

The blade and motor on this thing could make a smoothie out of pretty much anything, and it has the capacity to not only bring food to room temperature, but warm it as well. Also, it's blades are razor sharp, meaning it can finely chop or pulverize any skin or fiber that you would normally have to remove in the cooking process.

Whole foods = Happy body.

I've been trying to whip up a delicious green smoothie every morning for the last month and I think I may have gotten the recipe just right. I wouldn't recommend using just any old blender to make it (because honestly, it won't work). I'm sure there have to be a few high powered blenders out there that aren't Vitamix though, that will get the job done.


It has kale and coconut water and banana as well as other feel good food! It's also incredibly filling and satiates my appetite well past lunch.

Maybe being a Vitamix demonstrator is next in my bag of tricks? (I can see a couple of my friends reading that last sentence with horror)

In assembling this in your machine, make sure to do it in the right order. I made the mistake of being flippant about that, and through trial and error, have figured out why it is the way it is. 

Elizabeth's "It's Not Easy Being Green" Smoothie

Place ingredients into high powered blender or Vitamix in the following order:
  • 3/4 cup coconut water
  • 2 cups of kale (well packed)
  • 1 grated, thumb size piece of ginger
  • 1 banana peeled and broken into three pieces
  • 1 green apple, with core removed
  • 10-15 mint leaves
  • 2 TBSP honey
  • A lot of ice!
If you're using a Vitamix, start the variable on low and work it up to 10 speed, then flip it to "high." Blend for about 30 seconds, until everything is well incorporated.

Enjoy!

PS For the Moe lovers out there, his surgery was a success and he is now resting comfortably at home! Here's a photo of the car ride home, as well as him luxuriating while I spoil him to assuage my guilt!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...